The Pokrovsky Cathedral is the
oldest building in the city of Kharkov, which is located in the
northeastern part of the Ukraine. The cathedral was built outside of
the borders of a fortress, which existed during this period of time. The
Cossacks built the orthodox temple in 1689 out of stone in the
architectural style know as Cossack Baroque. During the Hetmanate era,
in the 17th and 18th centuries this style of
architecture was predominant throughout the Ukraine region. This style
of architecture actually started in the 10th century when the
St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery (1113)
was built in Kiev.
In 1726 the bishop of Belgorod, Russia Epifanija Tihorsky and the
governor general of Slbodsky
Ukraine of Prince M.M. Golitsyn founded the
first higher educational institution at the Piously-Pokrovsk monk
From 1799 through 1846 the Pokrovsk cathedral was the main cathedral of
Kharkov. In the mid 19th century
restoration began on the
By 1917 the policies of the Bolsheviks and its relationships with the
changed. The cathedral by 1920 had been closed and was
starting to collapse. In 1950 some work was done, but it was not until
1992 when the Pokrovsk monastery was returned to the Ukrainian Orthodox
church that restoration would
In front of the Arhierejsky house
serving by residence of the Metropolitan Kharkov and Bogoduhovsky and
of Diocesan management. The memorable signs to the 2000
anniversary of a Christmas and the 200 anniversary of the Kharkov
diocese are established.
The Ozerjansky Church (1892)
The Ozerjansky temple was built in the territory of the Pokrovsk
monastery and was constructed at the end of the nineteenth century
(1892), by money given from parishioners, and from people living in
Moscow during this period of time.
Vladimir Nemkin was the architect of this temple. He was a student at
Petersburg Institute of Civil Engineers and a professor at the
Kharkov Institute of Technology. He designed many of the building and
temples, which now represent the city of Kharkov.
The Ozerjansky temple was built in honor of the relic Ozerjansky icon.
The patroness of Kharkov is considered the Godmother in the Ozerjansky
Father Vladimir tells of the legend of the Ozerjansky icon being found
at the end of the 16th century in the village of Ozerjany and
that is how
the icon got the name Ozerjansky.
“One poor farmer mowed a grass and in a grass he cut an image of
Godmother half-and-half a plait... He, certainly, has felt that its act
is terrible for it and for associates. It took these two half of a
broken icons, has reverentially placed by itself in a prayful corner,
has lighted before it a candle and by the morning
has found an icon
whole, only thin trace of a section remained. Near to a place of the
wonderful phenomenon of an
image the church, and on a holy site a spring
Blagoveschensky Cathedral (1888)
Architect M. Lovtsov designed the Blagoveschensky cathedral in the
Byzantine style. Construction started in 1888 and was finished in
1901. The Blagoveschensky cathedral is the largest structure in this
city of Kharkov and is located in the Karl Marx Square on the western
side of the city.
The cathedral with its five-domes and 80-meter bell tower is a
spectacular work of art made from 7 million pieces of brick, by master
masons, is now a historical and cultural monument, which belongs to the
Ukrainian Orthodox church. The church can
Several of the icon motifs that exist in the Blagoveschensky cathedral
came from the Vladimir cathedral, which is located in Kiev and from the
Temple of the Savior, which is located in Moscow.
Before the Blagoveschensky cathedral was built a small wooden temple
existed in this location. In 1655 the first temple for the
Godmother had been constructed in this location.