The Pokrovsky Cathedral is the oldest building in the city of Kharkov, which is located in the northeastern part of the Ukraine. The cathedral was built outside of the borders of a fortress, which existed during this period of time. The Cossacks built the orthodox temple in 1689 out of stone in the architectural style know as Cossack Baroque. During the Hetmanate era, in the 17th and 18th centuries this style of architecture was predominant throughout the Ukraine region. This style of architecture actually started in the 10th century when the St. Michael’s Golden-Domed Monastery (1113) was built in Kiev.
In 1726 the bishop of Belgorod, Russia Epifanija Tihorsky and the governor general of Slbodsky Ukraine of Prince M.M. Golitsyn founded the first higher educational institution at the Piously-Pokrovsk monk monastery.
From 1799 through 1846 the Pokrovsk cathedral was the main cathedral of Kharkov. In the mid 19th century restoration began on the church.
By 1917 the policies of the Bolsheviks and its relationships with the church had changed. The cathedral by 1920 had been closed and was starting to collapse. In 1950 some work was done, but it was not until 1992 when the Pokrovsk monastery was returned to the Ukrainian Orthodox church that restoration would begin.
In front of the Arhierejsky house serving by residence of the Metropolitan Kharkov and Bogoduhovsky and the building of Diocesan management. The memorable signs to the 2000 anniversary of a Christmas and the 200 anniversary of the Kharkov diocese are established.
The Ozerjansky Church (1892)
The Ozerjansky temple was built in the territory of the Pokrovsk monastery and was constructed at the end of the nineteenth century (1892), by money given from parishioners, and from people living in Moscow during this period of time.
Vladimir Nemkin was the architect of this temple. He was a student at the Petersburg Institute of Civil Engineers and a professor at the Kharkov Institute of Technology. He designed many of the building and temples, which now represent the city of Kharkov.
The Ozerjansky temple was built in honor of the relic Ozerjansky icon.
The patroness of Kharkov is considered the Godmother in the Ozerjansky icon.
Father Vladimir tells of the legend of the Ozerjansky icon being found at the end of the 16th century in the village of Ozerjany and that is how the icon got the name Ozerjansky.
“One poor farmer mowed a grass and in a grass he cut an image of Godmother half-and-half a plait... He, certainly, has felt that its act is terrible for it and for associates. It took these two half of a broken icons, has reverentially placed by itself in a prayful corner, has lighted before it a candle and by the morning has found an icon whole, only thin trace of a section remained. Near to a place of the wonderful phenomenon of an image the church, and on a holy site a spring appeared”.
Blagoveschensky Cathedral (1888)
Architect M. Lovtsov designed the Blagoveschensky cathedral in the Byzantine style. Construction started in 1888 and was finished in 1901. The Blagoveschensky cathedral is the largest structure in this city of Kharkov and is located in the Karl Marx Square on the western side of the city.
The cathedral with its five-domes and 80-meter bell tower is a spectacular work of art made from 7 million pieces of brick, by master masons, is now a historical and cultural monument, which belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox church. The church can accommodate 4000 parishioners.
Several of the icon motifs that exist in the Blagoveschensky cathedral came from the Vladimir cathedral, which is located in Kiev and from the Temple of the Savior, which is located in Moscow.
Before the Blagoveschensky cathedral was built a small wooden temple existed in this location. In 1655 the first temple for the sake of Godmother had been constructed in this location.